Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Developing my (Beginner) Coder Skills

Besides my health journey, I've decided to try something new to better myself: learning how to code. I'm starting with HTML and CSS. I attempted learning it back around 2012, but gave up about halfway through the book I bought. Then again, with the same book, tried around 2017 or so. Now I'm at it again.

HTML isn't terribly difficult, as most of it, I'm learning to memorize as I go, since everything you make basically has the same things in it. CSS is something I want to memorize some of, but I think as long as I know where to look when I have questions about a problem I have, or am trying to build something, I'll be good.

Ralph Wiggum saying I'm a coder now
How I feel after finally understanding something I've been stuck on.

Where it gets tricky is, what to learn next. I've been hearing to learn JavaScript next, then on to other programming languages (the one I hear most). But others say I should learn React, Node, C++, etc. So I'm going to focus on learning HTML/CSS for now, then move on to what the majority says.

Learning new things is scary, but as I tell my daughter all the time: No one grows up knowing everything. You just have to go into something knowing you're not going to know it, and learn what you can.

One of my first goals once I learn what I need to is to create my blog from scratch instead of using a template. If you have any insight into what to do after HTML/CSS, let me know in the comments.

2 comments: